Tuesday, February 23, 2010

From Sylvatus to Ethiopia

I grew up in a small town named Hillsville that is located in Carroll County, Virginia. Looking back, I had such an idealistic childhood. Parents that loved me, friends, a nice house, a good church and caring teachers at Sylvatus Elementary School. Syvatus was a small K-6 grade school that had old wooden floors and smelled like the coal that they used to heat the school and the cigarettes the principal smoked.

It is so strange what you can remember from those years of growing up. One of the kindergarten aides name was Artie and she collected thimbles. Thomas was the janitor and he was such a sweet man. The secretary's name was Lola and I always knew if I was sick or in trouble she would fill in as a mama until mine could be located.

I am sure there were plenty of academics that I was taught during my years there. I only know this because I successfully completed middle, high school and college, so there must have been a foundation set while I was at Sylvatus. The funny part is...I don't really remember learning much. Like, there is not a crystal clear memory of when I learned to read or add or learn my state capitals. It was the special things I remember like the fall festival where I would have the bejeezies scared out of me in the spook room. The talent show and 6th grade graduation were always highlights of the year. I also have some disturbing memories of having to sing Karen Carpenter and John Denver songs in music class , but that's besides the point ( it was the 80's!)

One particular memory that I have about 4th grade is watching a video on Ethiopia in Rava Quesenberry's 4th grade class. At the time there was terrible famine going on in Ethiopia, killing adults and children alike. The ruler of Ethiopia's pride kept him for asking for help from other countries and a reporter from the UK decided to report on it any way. The world was shocked that this was happening and no one was aware of it.

I remember as the images and the video ran across the screen the feelings of helplessness. I could feel the enormity of every mile that separated Sylvatus, Va from the sad conditions of Ethiopia. I was 9 years old and could not think of a single thing that I could do to help those poor people.
Photos like this is what I remember. Now, 26 years later, I can do something and I am. If all things go as planned, I will board a plane by the end of 2010 and go to Ethiopia and bring back a baby that is a victim of this same famine. See, the country of Ethiopia has still not fully recovered from the terrible times of the 1980's. There are still lots of children going to bed at night with empty tummy's. There is little or no health care for the poor. It is possible that the baby that we call our son will have became an orphan because of Aids, but it could also be from bad water, malaria or a simple infection that was never treated. His parents may still be alive and just not have any way to support a baby. There is still need for help in Ethiopia 26 years later. There are an estimated 50 million orphans in Ethiopia. 50 MILLION. They are the least of these the Bible is talking about.

I don't know why Mrs. Quesenberry decided to show us that video. Was it a benchmark for our history curriculum? Did she want us to be aware of more than our idealistic surroundings or was her heart breaking over the famine as she wanted us to feel that too? I don't know why , but I am glad she did. Our children are impressionable and we never ever know what we may sow into them that will come to harvest two and a half decades later. Thank you Mrs. Quesenberry...wherever you are.

1 comment:

  1. Jackie. What memories you have brought back to me like. Slumber parties, girl scouts, all those fun field trips. I especialy remember two field trips... one to Natural Bridge and the other to Pld Salem. Those are so memorable to me cause both our mom's and dad's went with us.Remember we didn't have to ride the bus we rode in a car. all 6 of us! I esp. remember after Old Salem? Oh wait a minute e also visited the cigarette company! Rhat sure doesn't happen today anymore but it was so cool seeing how they made cancer sticks! lol! Well back on the subject after that field trip we ditched the group with our parents and ate out and went to hanes mall. I remember we both got those little snoopy belle dog clip-on dogs. So glad that you are on this endeavor and lord willing you come back with this beautiful baby boy.
    You should really get a hold of Mr Quesenberry. She would be tickled to hear from you and how that film you watched in her classroom made such an impact on your life and what it has lead you to. She still lives at the same place. I can give you her number. She is my son Richie's great grandmother on his dad's side. Thank-you so much for sharing this. Love you! Stacey

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed