Monday, January 18, 2010

Haiti Adoptions

I just watched on CNN that over 100 orphans from Haiti who have been waiting for the system to process their paperwork will be allowed into the US this week. Praise the Lord! Anyone that has dealt with international adoption knows what a miracle this is. The red tape seems to be never ending at times.
When we first began to consider international adoption, we looked into Haiti, but there is a rule set by the Haitian government that adoptive parents can only have 2 biological children in their home. You could, of course, apply for an exception. This taking much more time and money than the 2 years and $25,000+ for a standard Haitian adoption. That was when we decided to not pursue Haiti as a potential country to adopt from.
We often feel like Ethiopia chose us. We funneled down the criteria for adoptive parents ( income, biological children requirement)and then what we were looking for ( infant adoption, shorter wait time) and it came down to Ethiopia and Korea. The agency we felt most comfortable with did not have a Korea program, so Ethiopia it was!

I want to say first off, I love our agency and I am 100% committed to adopting a baby or two from Ethiopia. That being said, I posed this question to myself last night..."What if the Haitian government and the US government said that anyone with a up to date, approved, international Home study could adopt a Haitian orphan. What would I do? What would others like me do?

I know for me, I would adopt one in a heart beat! I think I could say the same for many of the other AWAA families. It is already proven we have a heart for orphans. We have already been through many criminal, credit and personal history checks. We have already put thousands of dollars into an adoption. We have already been educated on foreign adoption and the issues that come with adopting a child of another race. I, for one would love to adopt two children from Ethiopia under the age of three, but that is highly unlikely for a sibling group under three to become available. China for instance is now taking 4 years to complete an adoption so agency's are allowing families to adopt from somewhere , like Ethiopia, while waiting for a referral for China.

The positive side of me wants to think this may happen and that it would be a solution to all those children in Haiti needing homes and all the families in the US wanting babies and how wonderful it would be. The cynical side of me knows that is way too simple of a solution and if the governments were not getting something out of it, there is no way they would agree to it.

I am not a President Obama fan, but if he was able to make this work and rescue that many starving orphans from life in an institution or worse, on the streets, then I would say his presidency was redeemable.(At least in this case).

I am curious though...I would like your opinion. If you are going through the process of adoption and this situation presented itself to you, what would you? What are the drawbacks of this plan? Could it happen? Why? Why not??

I just keep on thinking, in two weeks, I will have an approved international home study that is good for 18 months. Is God going to use this to bring a child home form Ethiopia? I sure hope so! BUT...what if it is to be used for more than that??

The verse in my head that keeps repeating is:

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father,inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.35For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.'

Mathew 25:34-36

It is what He commands us to do, so shouldn't we?




3 comments:

  1. I would do it in a heartbeat!!!! Im sad for all the orphans of Haiti and the situation that they are in but Im so happy that it is raising awareness for international adoption. My heart is in Haiti everyday so to help a child if I could...not a question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if they said we could, i'd do it! we had looked into haiti before but their age requirement knocked us out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would do it also. No question...

    ReplyDelete

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed